My hubby & I kicked off the new year with a healthy new attitude. We started eating better and joined a gym. We both lost about 20 pounds! I got rid of the baby weight for good and we are both feeling great!
But its been nearly 6 months of this… packing my lunch, planning out our meals, and getting up REALLY early to go to the gym. And I’m kinda over it. So I have been slacking a bit. I stopped counting calories, since I used the My Fitness Pal app so much I have a pretty accurate guess of the calories in what I eat. I have also been missing my workouts. A lot. I decided I needed to re-motivate myself, so starting July 1st, that is what I did!
1. Prep for the Gym The Night Before: When I started slacking here, I started skipping my workouts more often. So I am back to prepping the night before. I set out my workout clothes. (socks, workout towel, everything) I also either make coffee the night before to drink cold, or set it all up, so all I have to do is press ‘brew’ when I wake up. Everyone is still sleeping when I leave, so I try not to make any noise. But I NEED my coffee, so having it ready is important.
2. Challenge Yourself: In the beginning my workouts were pretty simple, but now I think they are boring. So to switch it up I have been taking some different classes in the morning. I’ve tried a bosu ball class and a weekday spin and strength class. (which totally kicked my butt) I started using the weight machines I was ‘scared’ to use before on the days I don’t take classes. Also, if you like to workout outside… try a few classes at a studio and if you regularly go to a gym, take some of your workouts outside. Break the boredom.
3. Spice Up Your Playlist: I don’t really have time to make music playlists and put them on my phone, so my go-to is Pandora. I usually just put it on the ‘Today’s Hits Radio’ channel. When I am in a slump though, ‘Britney Spears radio’ usually helps me though it. (Don’t judge) The ‘Dance Cardio’ station is pretty good too. Google ‘good workout songs’ or ‘summer 2014 workout playlists’ and you will get tons ideas.
4. Switch Up Your Meals: It is easy to get into a rut when you are eating healthy. I have been having the same snacks and lunches for months now. I am OVER tuna wraps and apples with almond butter. So since I spend so much time on Pinterest anyway, I decided to actually use all that info I have been pinning. I found some great new lunch and snack ideas on my clean eating board. Now I have switched things up and I am once again looking forward to my meals.
6. Treat Yourself: Don’t forget to reward yourself for all your hard work! It could be something small, like enjoying some ice cream or your favorite calorie-laden coffee drink. Maybe you can treat yourself to a new summer dress or a cute new workout outfit. Try putting a dollar in a jar for each completed workout, and after a month or two you’ll have enough to get yourself a little something!
These are just a few things I am doing to get out of my summertime fitness slump, if you have any other ideas or suggestions I would love to hear them!