So you have a friend who has a blog. That’s awesome! There are tons of reasons why people create their own website. Even if you don’t entirely understand the reason for your friend’s blog.. there are simple things you can do to support them. My friends often have questions about my blog (which I totally don’t mind answering) and ask about ways they could help support me. These things won’t take up too much of your time, but it could make a huge difference for your blog-writing buddy.
6 ways to support your friend’s blog:
1. Follow them on social media: Many bloggers have social media accounts dedicated solely to their blogs. I have a Facebook page for Working Mom Magic, in addition to a Twitter, Instagram, Periscope and Pinterest account. By simply ‘liking’ my Facebook page, even if you don’t care what I am talking about on there, it helps people who DO care to see my posts. I won’t bore you with Facebook algorithms, but the extra ‘like’ helps to get that page seen by others. So even if you hate all other forms of social media… one “like” on Facebook can go a long way.
2. Share their stuff: If you notice your friend is linking up to one of their blog posts on social media and it is something you can relate to, or think your followers may be interested in… then share it! By sharing your friend’s post, you are exposing them to an entirely new audience, potentially bringing them new followers.
3. Vote for them: I am a part of something called Top Mommy Blogs, and when you click the button on that page it helps rank me on website full of other (you guessed it) mommy blogs. If you are my friend, and visit my blog you better click that darn button, which counts as a “vote” for me. It takes you 20 seconds, tops… but it makes a huge difference for me. Brands and businesses use sites like “Top Mommy Blogs” to find influencers to spread the word about their product. Influencers that they will then PAY to write about said products. So being ranked makes a difference. (AKA: Click the button and maybe you will help me make some extra money) There are a variety of “vote” buttons that bloggers use… so if you see one on a friends blog, do them a huge favor and vote.
|Click this button to give me a vote! 🙂|
4. Name drop: Tell people about your friends blog. If parenting comes up in a conversation, my best friends waste no time throwing out Working Mom Magic. “Oh.. my friend has a mommy blog.. you should check it out!” Many people find out about blogs by word of mouth… so if the opportunity arises, speak up and share your friend’s blog!
5. Give them ideas: At this point, most all of my friends know about my blog and the topics I tend to write about. I love it when they text me articles they think I should explore myself or send me pictures of crafty ideas they see while out and about. I have gotten tons of amazing ideas from my friends that have turned into fabulous blog posts.
6. Read their blog: Nothing beats the feeling than when a friend tells me they loved one of my blog posts, or that they tried the recipe that I posted. Maybe a Facebook article I shared made them smile. I have had friends I grew up with email me or private message me simply to tell me that they enjoy reading my blog. I can’t even tell you how much that makes my day.
I have a blog since it makes me happy. I love to write and I enjoy helping other women & moms by giving them options to help simplify their busy life. But, there’s no denying that putting yourself out there in a blog can be scary sometimes, and a little intimidating. That’s when support from our friends and family make all the difference… and bloggers, like me, sure do appreciate it.