You guys know I LOVE LOVE to read. I set a high goal of 30 books this year for my reading challenge and I fell short. 🙁 I read 23 books, which is still really good. I slacked a bit on my reading in the early fall months, but now I am back at it. I also got into podcasts this year, so I prefer those to books on tape right now. (Yes, audio books would totally count towards my book goal… don’t judge!)
I read a few great books this year, but most of them were just okay. I guess I made some crappy selections, ha! Let’s focus on the good, shall we? These are in no particular order and I am linking you to them using affiliate links, just so ya know. 😉
My Top Books of 2017:
- Pretty Girls: This was one majorly screwed up book, but MAN was it good! I got halfway through and thought… What else could possibly happen? The story appeared to be over… and then BOOM… sh*t gets crazy. The subject matter is not for the faint of heart and normally I hate gruesome books, but there were so many twists and turns that I flew through it. If you want a book that you can’t put down, this is it! (but don’t say that I didn’t warn you, it’s disturbing)
- The Magnolia Story: I enjoyed every second of this book and was sad when I finished it. I always liked Chip and Joanna from Fixer Upper, I don’t watch them all the time or anything… but after reading this book I LOVE them! Even though this story is about their life and how they got to where they are, it is packed with life-lessons. I found myself wondering if fear was holding me back from certain things, especially since I read it around the same time I was considering a job offer and leaving my TV career. This isn’t a self-help book, but I got so much out of it.
- It Ends With Us: I loved this book, so good… it made me cry. At the end of book, there was a story behind the story from the author that was amazing and made the book that much more powerful. (cryptic, I know… but I don’t want to give any spoilers!) Just read it!
- The China Study: This book was so informative and scary at the same time. I went dairy-free for a month, partly because of what I read in this book. It was a crazy read.
- Leave Me: I loved this book and flew through it in just a few days. The only thing was I wasn’t crazy about the ending. It left too many good storylines open and I hate that.
- The Universe Has Your Back: Great book with a ton of tips, meditations and writing exercises. I started another Gabrielle Bernstein book once and didn’t like it, but this one was really good!
- Between Two Worlds: Lessons from the Other Side: I love Tyler Henry and his show on E! so I loved this book. It was interesting to read about his life and how he discovered his gifts.
- The Secret: I read this book in my late teens/early 20’s and it really stayed with me so I wanted to re-read it to see if it was as good as I remember… and it was!! I 100% believe in the law of attraction and I can’t believe how much this book unknowingly shaped my decisions throughout my life until I was reading it again and thinking “YES!!! I think like that!” This book is a little out there.. but you guys know I love that stuff so it shouldn’t come as a surprise!! I think everyone should read this one.
So out of 23 books only 8 of them are good enough for you, in my honest opinion. 😉 If you read anything amazing this year, please let me know in comments… since obviously, my book selection is slipping.