People are usually pretty shocked when I tell them that my husband and I rarely have date nights. I think that mostly has to do with the fact that we have always been homebodies. When we were dating in college, we would rather stay home and watch a movie than go out. Also, we both like to go to bed EARLY. Like, obnoxiously early. Finally, we don’t have many people we trust to watch our kids.
Which brings me to the fantastic, underrated DATE DAYS! We just schedule a day off from work together. Our kids go to school like they do every day, and we don’t have to pay anyone to watch them.
10 Reasons to Have a Date Day with Your Husband:
1. They are fairly easy to plan
2. You don’t have to pay a sitter (if you already have kids in school/daycare)
3. You aren’t tired
4. You can do whatever you want! Run errands, enjoy breakfast or lunch, go to the beach or just sit at home and relax!
5. Afternoon delight 😉
6. You get the ENTIRE day together
7. You can take a nap. A NAP!
8. It reminds you what your relationship was like before kids. Not saying that is a good or bad thing, but when we spend the day doing whatever we want, it reminds Donnie & I about the nearly 10 years we spent together without children. We love our life now, but it brings back memories of those years together and fun stories we haven’t talked about in awhile. 🙂
9. It gives both of you a “break.” We often take turns to give the other person “Me” time, but at the end of a date day we both feel refreshed and relaxed.
10. You get to surprise your kids by picking them up a bit early. (we can’t help ourselves, we always end up wanting to get the kids! ha!)
Now that you know WHY I love date days, I want to share a fun one we recently had. They just opened a iFly, indoor skydiving location nearby. So when they contacted me about giving it a try, I knew it would be a perfect date day. Would it be something my son would love? Yes. Did we feel a little guilty about not taking him with us? Yes. A teeny tiny bit. And while I love having new experiences with my children, I also knew it would be a really fun and different date to enjoy with my husband. Alone.
My husband was so excited. He has been skydiving before and tried indoor skydiving years ago. To be honest, I have never been interested in jumping out of a plane or floating around in a wind tunnel. But I am always down to try something new!
The entire experience was awesome. Everyone was really fun and the training was quick and easy. We watched a video and got suited up. I was pretty sure my lack of coordination and moderate anxiety would mean I would suck at the whole thing. Which I did, kind of. Despite the fact that I did NOT relax as instructed and totally ignored the hand-signals while I was in there, I still had a lot of fun.
My husband did much better than me and was even able to control his movements. (show off!) We each got two turns and for the second one our instructor brought us super high and twisted us around which was SO much fun.
I have never been an adrenaline chaser, but this is such a cool experience I think everyone should give it a try. I am really glad I did it and my husband bought a flight package while we were there and is planning to take our son soon. Be sure to check out the iFly website to see if there is a location near you, I promise it is worth every penny… and makes for an awesome & memorable date day! 😉
*Thanks to iFly for the free ride, all opinions about the experience are my own!