In the past year, two of my best friends had their first baby. It is exciting because now they “get it.” For the longest time, I was the only one with a kid. Which also made me the lucky winner of unsolicited advice and guilt trips for missing a bachelorette weekend. (I was still breastfeeding and my baby was literally 2 months old, but I digress…)
We got together recently and one of them apologized for ignoring the fact that I have had kids for the past 8 years. ha! It was nice to hear, but it never really annoyed me. They were in a totally different mindset and I understood.
It has been funny hearing their “new mom realizations” over the past year. Which brought me back to when I was a new mom with all those crazy thoughts going through my head.
10 thoughts every new mom has:
1. What did I do with my time before I had kids?– I used to think I didn’t have time to get anything done. I can’t workout, I am too busy. I don’t have time to cook! Then I had kids. And I wondered what the heck I did before I had them. I should have had a model body and been meal planning like a boss. I mean… I took NAPS for goodness sakes! NAPS!
2. I really don’t need that much sleep.– Before kids I always said I needed my sleep. After having my son, I quickly realized I can function on way less sleep than I thought. When you don’t have a choice, you make it work.
3. I hate my husband!– My husband and I were together for about 10 years before we had our first baby. We never fought. However, soon after having a child, it became clear to me. I really do not like this man. I found myself saying things like, HOW DO YOU NOT HEAR THE BABY CRYING? WHAT IS SO HARD ABOUT GIVING THE BABY A BATH? WHY ARE YOU TOUCHING ME? 😉 Sleep deprivation and the stress of having a new baby can be tough on any marriage. But this will pass… and you will love your husband once again. Eventually.
4. Kids are expensive!– It didn’t take long to realize that kids cost way more than I initially thought. Diapers, doctors visits and daycare… there is so much to pay for and it quickly adds up.
5. I miss warm food.– Once I had kids I realized that I took for granted a lot of things, including warm food. Not to mention actually chewing my food, instead of scarfing it down as quickly as possible… while standing up.
6. Breastfeeding hurts.– Like for real. Why didn’t anyone warn me about how badly breastfeeding would hurt? Also, very few people told me how HARD it would be as well.. I just assumed you just put the baby on the boob and boom. Nope.
7. Parenting is hard.– I didn’t think having kids would be a cakewalk, but I can admit now I wasn’t prepared for how difficult it would be. I second guessed every decision. I worried if my baby was growing okay, sleeping properly, eating enough. With parenting, you reach a level of worry & anxiety that you didn’t know existed.
8. I am never getting a moment to myself again.– There is a moment every parent has when they feel like, “Holy s**t, I have 18 years of this.” You try to remember the last time you were able to relax, but can’t. Once you become a mom, you just don’t stop. Even now, with my kids being a little bit older… I still feel like I never really stop. It is starting to get easier, but man… is it different.
9. I hate my new body.– We are so accustomed to seeing superstars bounce right back from pregnancies, that we secretly think that we will be able to do the same. But after the baby comes and a few months go by, you quickly realize that your new body is here to stay for awhile. I never really thought I was a vain person, but my new bod did take some getting used to.
10. I can’t believe I am a mom.– This is probably the most common thought I had. When I would look at my son or daughter I would think, “WOW. I can’t believe I am a mom. I can’t believe these perfect little people are MINE.”
I feel so lucky every day to have my kids, they are the joy of my life. As they get older, things are getting a bit easier. If you are a new mommy, I hope you can relate to these thoughts and I want you to know that you are doing an amazing job, momma!!