I may spend most of the day outside of the home working, but that doesn’t mean I can’t genuinely reconnect with my children each night. Just a few hours spent being present with my little loves can make a huge difference. As our kids get older, we have decided to be more intentional to get that time to reconnect. The kids can easily amuse themselves, which can be a nice break for my husband and I after a long day at work. (let’s be honest) However, quality time together each day is a priority so we work to make it happen!
5 Ways to Reconnect With Your Kids Every Day:
1. Play: Put away your phone, turn off the TV and ask your kids what they would like to play. My daughter usually chooses to do play-doh projects, color or play “store.” My son loves when I join him to build Legos, draw or wrestle. (I let my husband handle that one, but you don’t want to mess with me in a tickle fight) My kids get SO excited when we simply PLAY with them. When I really commit to the act of playing, without getting distracted or impatient, I can see how much my kids appreciate it and how happy it makes them.
2. Snack & Chat: When we first get home and have a bit of time before dinner, I love to snack & chat. We hop on the couch or sit on the floor and talk about our day while we all decompress. I’ll grab a bowl of Goldfish crackers and some fruit and we are all set. That is when I get to hear all the best stories about my kids day and they also love to ask about our day as well.
3. Board Games: Board games & puzzles are a perfect time-filler when we are preparing dinner. We can be close to the kitchen to make sure everything is cooking properly and take a pause or time out if there is something we need to check on or prep. Guess Who is a great game that even my 3 year old can play that is fun for everyone. You can never go wrong with Connect 4 either. My son has been getting into chess lately… so we have had a few chess nights.
4. Go For a Walk: After dinner walks (or bike rides) are my FAVORITE. It is a great way to get some exercise and chat with the kids.
5. Read: My daughter loves when I tell her to grab some books and meet me on the couch. My son and I recently started a new habit of reading together each night and I love it. I grab my Kindle and he grabs whatever book he is reading and we snuggle up in his room. I love this since we both get to spend time reading what we enjoy. We chat a little bit about what our books are about, but quality time doesn’t always have to involve talking. We will easily sit there for 20 to 30 minutes quietly reading.
Goldfish crackers is a great snack to share with your kids anytime. Right now they have an awesome contest underway that will get you more quality time with your kids and the chance to win $5,000! Hello! How cool is that? Goldfish Tales Animation Xperience is a stop motion challenge.
Goldfish crackers shared this awesome video to show you apps and tricks that will make it easy to create a stop motion masterpiece with your kids. Have fun & good luck!