Are you ready for 2017? Now you know I love a good list of resolutions… but in my opinion, nothing is more powerful or transformative than a vision board. However, many people aren’t sure where to start or how to create a vision board that works for them. Last year, I talked about why I create a vision board. This year, I wanted to take you step-by-step through how to create a vision board that will make your dreams a reality.
How to Make Your Dreams a Reality With a Vision Board:
1. Brainstorm What You Want: Before you start, sit down and think about what you really want for the year ahead. Write down whatever comes to your mind. Be honest with yourself. This is your first pass, so write down whatever the goal or dream… no matter how huge or ridiculous. Sometimes people feel compelled to write goals they THINK they should go for. Have you dreamed of owning a expensive designer purse, but are embarrassed to admit that is among your goals? Stop it. This is YOUR vision board. Want to go on a big trip this year? Have dreams of quitting your job and selling art on Etsy? It may be a goal that seems impossible or incredibly far fetched, but we are ignoring reason right now. If there is a voice in your heart telling you, “We want this” then write it down. You don’t have to know HOW you are going to make these dreams a reality… you just have to know that you want to.
2. Narrow It Down: Now it is time to look at your first brain dump of dreams and narrow it down. What do you really want to focus on this year. I am not going to limit what you can put on your vision board… but if one of your life long dreams is to backpack through Europe alone with your husband and you just had a baby… well you may need to put that one on the back burner for awhile. (hey, but you can start saving for that trip this year!) Pick the things you want the most, cross off the things you wrote down since you felt like you should and let’s get to the fun part.
3. Create Your Vision: There are so many ways to make a vision board, and they are all equally fabulous. Last year, I created mine on a cork board over my desk, so I could look at it all the time. I loved where it was, so I plan to use them again this year, but start with a clean slate. You want to LOVE your vision board. Grab some magazines and whatever else inspires you and make a collage. Use a poster board, cork board or whatever else you like. Print out inspirational quotes, use pictures of your family, cut out images of the pricey purse. 😉 Every time you look at your vision board, you should be reminded of exactly what you hope to accomplish.
4. Visualize: Now it wouldn’t be a VISION board if you didn’t actually use it for visualization! If you are embarrassed by your vision board (which is totally normal.. maybe you don’t want your roommate knowing the deepest desires of your heart or perhaps your loved ones think a vision board is silly) then it is okay to put it someplace a little more hidden. I used to create mine on poster board and hang it in my closet. You just want it to be someplace where *you* can see it often. Look at it everyday. Think about what it on there and how amazing it will be when those dreams become reality. Take a minute to visualize your vision board goals coming true.
5. Repeat and Revise: Continue to look at your vision board daily, if possible. If you accomplish a goal, or realize you are not inspired by something on your board, feel free to change it. You can revise your board to make it work for you. You aren’t making a permanent shrine. This is a vision board to help motivate and manifest… you can change it however you wish.
2017 is going to be YOUR year, you just have to visualize all the amazing-ness coming your way! If a vision board sounds a little crazy or crunchy granola to you, just try it. Seriously. What have you got to lose? As always, if you have any questions you can always email me: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you post your vision board process on social media please tag me, I would love to see it! 🙂