My current food obsession is pickled red onions. I make a batch every Sunday. If you have never made pickled red onions, you need to try it! They are really easy and it is impossible to mess this recipe up! I have tried a few variations and this is my favorite way to make it.
Perfect Pickled Red Onions:
1 Red Onion
2/3 cup of Red Wine Vinegar
2/3 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
2 teaspoons of Coconut Sugar (or regular sugar)
- Thinly slice the red onion
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a saucepan and heat it up until it starts to steam
- Put the sliced red onion in a jar and pour the vinegar mixture on top
- The mixture doesn’t need to completely cover the onions, since they will break down in a few hours
- I like to add a bit of water to the mixture (like 2 tablespoons) to cut the acidity, but you might like it without any water, so experiment
- Close the jar and let it sit on the counter for 15 minutes and stir
- Wait another 15 minutes, and stir the onions again. After you stir them up, push down the onions into the mixture as much as you can
- Put it in the fridge and you are done!
In about 4 hours the onions are good, but the longer they sit the better they get. I put this stuff on everything! I put pickled red onions on tacos, in my salad and I even mix it in with my eggs in the morning! You can also create a number of variations to this basic recipe. You can add spices or garlic… and I see a lot of recipes with a bit of lime juice. So now I am obsessed with pickling things since I never knew it was this easy. I think pickled corn is next on my list… so if you have a good pickling recipe pass it on!