These days women are expected to do it all. It is no surprise to me that so many ladies I know feel stressed out, overwhelmed and miserable. One of my favorite sayings is, “You will never live a positive life with a negative mind.” I really believe in that statement. A small mindset change can make a huge difference.
Here are 5 ways to live a more positive life
1. Start a Thankful Journal: Each night write down 10 things that you are thankful for. This is simply ANYTHING that made you feel thankful. It could be your family or a good hair day… if it made you happy, write it down. You can do this in the morning too, but I like to jot these items down right before bed, so I fall asleep with a head full of grateful, happy thoughts.
2. Meditate: I recently started meditating and I love it. I tried meditation in my 20’s but I could never get myself to focus. Now they have a number of meditation apps that are really helpful. I pop on my headphones in the morning when I first get up and take 5 minutes to meditate. (I am working my way up to 10 minutes!) Each day, I am getting better at quieting my mind. Right now, I keep it pretty simple, just focusing on my breath and relaxing my body. When I am done I feel really good. My mind is clear and I am in a better mood.
3. Try Affirmations: Setting your intentions for the day can put you in a positive mindset. I loved the book, “You are a Bad Ass” and this is an exercise the author talks about a lot. It can be as simple as saying your affirmation in your head or out loud. You can also start an “Affirmation Journal” and write them down each day, or when you feel like it. An example of an affirmation would be, “I am going to have an awesome day, I am going to be super productive at work.” or “I am so thankful for my kids, I am going to be an amazing, calm parent today.” I am not going to share my actual affirmations since you would literally die laughing, but I put some pretty lofty goals into the universe. I know it sounds strange, but it puts me in a great mood! Just try it.
4. Create a Happy Playlist: Music is so crazy powerful. When I feel myself getting anxious or stressed, I just put on my happy playlist. I listen to music when I am getting ready in the morning. I jam out to my favorite songs on the way into work. Sing, dance… whatever floats your boat. My daughter and I scream the words to “Everything is Awesome” at least a few times a week during the car ride to daycare. We both end up laughing and smiling, no matter HOW many times I have heard that song. (at least 473,951 times, but who’s counting?)
5. Do Something Nice for Someone Else: Leave your husband a love note, buy coffee for the person behind you, give a co-worker a compliment. There are so many ways to bring a bit of joy to someone’s day. The best part is: when you do something nice for someone, it make YOU feel happier. Isn’t that awesome? It is a double whammy of positivity.
Life is complicated and hard. Let’s be real, it would be impossible to see the bright side of things ALL of the time. But being positive really does help. If you shift your way of thinking, even just 50% of the time… you will notice a dramatic change in the way you feel. Now go be fabulous & happy… you deserve it.