I am really big into setting goals, and when it comes to my blog a large part of that includes social media. I don’t really follow the “rules” when it comes to what bloggers are told we “should” do. However, what I am doing does work for me, so I thought I would share a few suggestions to help you rock social media.
1. Be Authentic: I am not saying that you have to post a makeup-free selfie every day or show your messy kitchen. But I do like to feel like I am getting to know you through your social media. If every picture is perfectly staged, using the same filter and the same pose… it makes me feel like you don’t want people to REALLY know who you are. Now for some bloggers, especially fashion and beauty blogs, perfectly curated pictures are a necessity. I can definitely appreciate the work they put into creating those shots, and they are beautiful. But, I would like to see a few candid posts thrown in, for fun. 😉 I know my Instagram doesn’t look how it is “supposed” to look, but it is ME.
|A glimpse of the crazy cluster I call my Instagram feed!|
2. Be Social: If people tweet you or comment on your Facebook post… write them back! The whole reason for social media is to BE SOCIAL! I know tons of people on twitter who never interact and it is so annoying. Talk to the people who are following you, ask questions, get opinions. It’s all part of the fun.
3. Share Other People’s Content: This is another pet peeve of mine. People who ONLY tweet and FB their own stuff. I get it, we have social media to promote our blogs or businesses… but when that is ALL that you are pimping, it gets a little boring. (no offense) If you read or see something that you really like from one of your favorite bloggers, share it! It is the ultimate compliment and also a great way to grow your own following.
4. Look for What is Trending: A lot of people have jumped on the social media scheduling bandwagon. Which is fine, but please don’t schedule everything. First of all, people can totally tell. Also, you are missing a great opportunity to get more followers. By sharing a topic that is popular or trending you have a greater chance of it being seen, especially on Facebook. It also makes you look current, and people like following people who can give them relevant information. For example, yesterday I shared the sad news about Celine Dion’s husband. In less than hour, it had 12 shares and a reach of nearly 3k. This morning, the reach for that single post was 14, 618. (I hate using this story as an example, but it just proves that if everyone is talking about something on Facebook, more people will see your post)
Another quick Facebook tip, if you aren’t sure what to share, you can cheat & use FB’s sidebar! There is a “what’s trending” section… FB likes when you share stuff from there to your page.
5. Use Good Pictures: Now your pictures don’t have to be perfect (see #1), however they should at least be clear and in focus. I have found that the Instagram pictures that do best for me are bright and sharp. I have really been loving my LuMee phone case for this reason. I first saw this on the Kardashians (don’t judge) and now I am obsessed with it. It is a case that actually has a light around it, so when you are taking selfies (or a video) you have a light on hand anytime. It is amazing. It has a button on the back, which not only turns it off and on, but also works as a dimmer to make the light the perfect brightness. (I have also been using it during my Periscopes, and it works fantastically as a fill light.. no matter where I am scoping from!)
|I am obsessed with my LuMee!|
I love how it is still slim, but it does make my phone feel a bit more substantial and definitely protected. It is rechargeable and does not use any power from my phone to work. The company sent me one for free, but I would totally buy it again if it ever broke.
|All fancy and lit up!|
|Dim room, no LuMee|
|LuMee (dim) LuMee (bright)|
Another quick and simple tip for improving the quality of your pictures is right on the Instagram photo bar. Just up the brightness and sharpness of your photo to give it an extra punch. Also, Instagram is owned by Facebook, so you should always share your IG posts to your Facebook page. You can edit the Facebook version once you post it. I always get really good engagement when I do that, no matter what the picture is.(make sure your IG is sharing to your blog’s Facebook page, not your personal account!)
6. Be Consistent: This is really important. I find that when I post at least daily on Instagram I get a ton more followers. When it comes to Facebook, your reach will begin to improve if you post on a consistent basis. I post about 30-35 times a week on Facebook, which means I average about 4-5 posts a day.
7. Set Goals: This used to work really well for me, but near the end of the year I stopped setting goals and it showed. Now I am back. Each month, I set a goal for my social media accounts. It may be to post a certain number of times each week or just to set a goal for new followers. That gives you something to focus on and work toward.
Since this post is all about social media it would be super counterproductive not to mention that you should follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Periscope. (I am also on Snapchat now, but I have no clue what the heck I am doing) What tips & tricks work best for you when it comes to social media?
Disclaimer: LuMee sent me a light up case for free but that has nothing to do with the fact that is the most awesome case ever.