I have big dreams for my kids. Every single day I do my very best to prepare them for the ‘real’ world. I try to teach them how to make good choices and hope we are helping them grow and thrive into happy adults.
|Future Florida State Seminoles? We hope so!|
I also want both of them to go to college. While I don’t feel like a college degree is needed for every profession… I do think it helps. My husband and I met at Florida State University. It was one of the best times of our lives, and it prepared us for our careers.
It is never too early to start saving for your kids college fund. Right now, it is open enrollment time for the Florida Prepaid college program, the ONLY time each year that families can purchase a plan. I have talked about my love for Florida Prepaid before. My parents got me one, and I left FSU without a single penny in student loan debt. Unfortunately, I have seen the other side, since my husband has a TON of debt from his time at school. Not only did he use student loans to help him get a 4-year degree, he also got his Masters. Needless to say, we are still paying off his loans.
It was no surprise my husband was the first one to bring up Florida Prepaid when we had our son. We would love to give our children the opportunity to graduate college debt-free. Right now, Florida Prepaid has 5 different options, and there is a plan to fit any budget.
My parents got me the 4 year university plan, which sets your child up for a full 4 year journey at one of Florida’s 12 amazing universities. However, now they have a 1-year Florida University plan. This allows you to buy 1 year at a time… without feeling pressured to buy all 4 years at one time. This also lets multiple purchasers to buy a plan for the same child. (“Hey Grandma & Grandpa… how about helping me out by paying for a year of my university?” *wink wink*)
Here is a breakdown of all the plans:
1-Year Florida University Plan:
- You can purchase one year, or 30 credit hours, at a time according to your budget and timeline, without feeling the pressure of having to buy all four years at once
- The plan also allows multiple purchasers to buy a plan for the same child.
2-Year Florida College Plan:
- Set your child up with a practical, affordable path to entering his/her chosen career with an associate’s degree or trade certification
- Give your child the advantage over those with only a high school diploma
4-Year Florida College Plan:
- There are 28 Florida colleges and they’ve expanded their capabilities far beyond the two-year programs. In fact, most now offer four-year bachelor’s degree programs in growth industries like nursing and teaching, and continue to grow their degree programs year after year.
- And since they’re typically less expensive than a university education, the 4-Year Florida College Plan provides a practical, affordable path to a bachelor’s degree
2+2 Florida College Plan
- Your child can receive a degree from one of Florida’s prestigious state universities for less than a typical four-year university degree
- By starting your child off at one of the state’s 28 Florida colleges, you’ll save money on lower-level courses before transferring to a State University to finish off their degree
- Students with this plan are guaranteed admission to a state university once they’ve earned their associate’s degree at a Florida college
4-Year Florida University Plan
- This Plan will start your child off at one of Florida’s 12 prestigious state universities and see them through their four-year journey.
- If your child decides to start at a college (which are typically less expensive), the unused funds from this Plan can be applied to a post-secondary degree or you can get the remaining money back
There is a plan to fit every budget, and the money saved can be applied at any university or college nationwide. (If your child decides to go to an out-of-state school) Check out the Florida Prepaid website for more information. Open enrollment just started, and runs through February 28, 2016. Don’t wait! #StartingIsBelieving