Technically, I ‘started’ Working Mom Magic when I was pregnant with Mila, but I didn’t really blog regularly until this past February. I would have never EVER started a blog if my amazing friend and co-worker Constance Jones hadn’t encouraged me to do so. (she also blogs over at The Crafty Reporter, check her out!!)
Now I love my little blog and all the amazing people it has connected me with! I have learned so much about blogging in the past year, and I am looking forward to what 2015 will bring!
I thought it would be fun to take a look back at my 5 most popular blog posts of 2014! (and share a little bit of the story behind them!)
5. My Job Has Its Perks, Like Meeting David Beckham: This is quite possible MY most favorite post, however… it barely made it into the number five spot with my readers! (it almost got beat out by Halloween Cupcakes!) It was super random how I got to basically be his ‘handler’ when he came to our station for an interview, simply because I *really* wanted a picture. I didn’t intend to make his visit to our station a blog post, since I actually leave most of my work stuff OUT of this blog. (it is a line I don’t want to blur) But he was such a nice guy to everyone… that I thought people who were a fan of him would enjoy reading about what he was like in person.
4. Picture Day Fail: Mila does not disappoint when it comes to viral photos and her very first school picture proves it. We did, in fact, buy these pictures with her sweet, sad face.
3. 10 Things I’ve Learned in My 10 Years of Marriage: I loved this post, it is one of my favorites. It took me a long time to narrow my list down to just 10 things, but I think I succeeded in choosing the most important ones. So many people related to number 1. (people don’t change) I was surprised how many people I knew who had failed marriages admitted to me that they had wished they had realized that fact before they got married. Also, I am not a very mushy writer, so I don’t think the post turned out as romantic as I had imagined it… but my husband loved it and it was only post I ever asked him to read before I posted it.
2. 10 Dinner Time Questions to Get Kids Talking: This is one of my earlier blog posts and it is still really popular. I realized my son was giving me really short answers about his day at school once he started kindergarten, and some of my friends were telling me the same thing about their kids. So I came up with a bunch of questions that I would rotate asking him and we always got great answers. I think my husband commented that it would make a good blog post and he was right! I have a part 2 almost ready to go… but I keep getting sidetracked. It will be up before summer… hopefully!
1. I Finally Went to Trader Joe’s: I still can’t believe my post about cookie butter and two buck chuck is my most popular post of the year. That just goes to show you that most of the time I am totally writing about the WRONG crap. (but it’s my crap and I love it) I was really excited to go to Trader Joe’s and I guess other people are interested in seeing what this cult supermarket is all about. There is not a specific traffic stream on this one… it is completely random. (I’ve checked analytics on it, numerous times) Now that I am a Trader Joe’s “regular” I have a list of things I buy all the time… so that post will be going up soon. 😉
So there you have it! My top 5 most popular posts of the year. It is really interesting to see what my readers enjoy and while it is very tempting to cater to pageviews (Trader Joe’s weekly anyone???) I have decided that I am going to continue to write what I love… which is whatever post pops into my head. Right now I LOVE my blog. It is ME. My friends tell me I blog exactly how I talk, which is what I want. I love how my page looks, I love all my posts, and it still shocks me every single day that people actually want to read it. So if you are one of those people… THANK YOU! Thank you for indulging my happy hobby. See you in 2015!